Monday, March 5, 2012

On the Stairs

       When you’re a therapy dog, you never know where or when someone is going to need you.  For instance, I meet a lot of people on the way to the skilled nursing facility, where my Mom and I work.  In the parking lot, in the halls, on the stairs, we’re always running into people who could use a friendly wagging tail and some healing.  The other day, my Mom and I were headed up the stairwell when we saw a man sitting on the stairs.  His shoulders were slumped, and he looked sad.  Before my Mom could say anything to him, I walked over to him and put my front paws on his knees.  When he looked up, his eyes were wet.  But he laughed when he saw me.  He asked my Mom “Is it ok if I pick him up?”  My Mom said, “Of course! He’s actually asking you to pick him up.”  The nice man put me on his lap and held me for a while, snuggling my head near his face.  When my Mom asked, “Is there anything we can do to help?” he responded, “You already have.”
         Even though my work harness patch says that I am a certified therapy dog, I try to heal people whenever I can, whether I’m “on the clock” or not.  Healing doesn’t just happen in the hospital or the skilled nursing facility.  It can happen every moment of the day.  You can be a healer too, even if you don’t have a patch.  Just smile or say a kind word or reach out to someone.  You’ll see how easy it is to be a healing presence. . What else is there to do with our time?